Saint James the Greater Parish, just a few blocks from Saint Elizabeth in Kenosha, is experiencing its own rebirth. It was founded in 1844 by the Rev. Martin Kundig, the circuit-riding first Vicar General of the Archdiocese, for Irish immigrants and their families. Originally dedicated to St Mark, the Archbishop, at the request of parishioners, changed the title in 1883 to St James, in honor of then-pastor Rev. James Cleary. The current church was built in 1883 in an English Gothic style.
Recently, repairs to the bell tower, which was struck by lightening in July, 2015, were completed, the tower was painted, and new lighting installed around the exterior of the building and on the tower itself. It now shines again across Kenosha as a beacon calling all who see it to the worship of God and to the true Faith.
* Thanks to Dave Tomasiewicz for providing this information on Saint James Parish.